Sunday 13 May 2007

Art for Art's sake?

Yesterday, I spent the evening in Stary Browar. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to see the flash mob, but I still enjoyed myself. I went to Slodownia to see New Dance performance. The performance consisted of two parts: a solo by Alice Chauchat and a duet of Alice, who prepared the choreography, and Alix Eynaudi-the dancer (both are French).

I'm still not sure whether I liked the first piece. It was an interpretation of two texts: The Art of Making Dances and no manifesto. Alice danced (some might think she rather moved) without any music and fragments of the two texts were projected onto the wall behind her.

The second piece was great! I really loved it! When we entered the room after the break, we found ourselves surrounded with a white smoke. Somewhere in the room was Alix-stark naked, moving towards the exit. At first I didn't know what to do, but after a while I followed the others, who were... following Alix! We actually became part of the performance. Alix left the room and after a while she came back wearing a black dress. She was just walking for some time and then she started dancing, moving from one person to another, crawling next to people who were sitting on the floor etc. Wow!

You can read more about this performance on Stary Browar's web page.

I know that some people watching the performance might have thought that we shouldn't call it art or dance. But I guess it's a matter of taste. What do you think about modern dance, or modern art in general? Do you like it or do you think it's ridiculous to call such things art? I'm curious what you think about it.

Stay strong;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time I want you to inform me about such events!!!!!! And please take me with you:):):)

Magda said...

I think that we can call art everything that has been done as a form of self-expression and with the purpose to invoke some emotions in the audience. Art is very subjective, what is art for you, may not be for somebody else:)
P.S. Take me with you, as well:)

Jojo said...

what you did today was pure art:-) many thanks!!!! :-)